Out of ideas for lunch?
Here are 3 of our favorite recipes! The first and third are both vegan and gluten free and there’s some poke in there for those looking for animal protein.
Buddha Bowl with Red Rice
- ½ cup red rice, cooked
- ¼ cup garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup mixed greens
- ¼ cup purple cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cup apples, thinly sliced
- 1 small radish, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cooked squash, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Cayenne pepper, salt & pepper to taste
- Bring one cup of water to a boil and add salt to taste. Add the red rice and bring the heat down. Cover the pot and let it simmer till the rice is cooked (15-20 min).
- Combine all the ingredients, except the oil, lemon juice, peppers and salt, in a bowl.
- Drizzle on the oil and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
Poke bowl with tuna, salmon, cucumber, avocado and carrots
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3 oz fresh salmon
- 3 oz fresh tuna
- 1 Chinese Onion
- 1/4 mango
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1/4 grated carrot
- Sprouts (optional)
- Sea salt
- For the marinade:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- For the sriracha sauce:
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce
- ½ lemon juice
- For garnishing
- Green part of chinese chive
- White and / or black sesame seeds
Cook the white rice for 20 minutes in 1 cup of water. Season with salt and pepper.
Cut the fresh salmon and tuna into cubes and season with soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Also, add a tablespoon of Chinese chives (the white part) finely chopped.
In parallel, cut the cucumber, avocado and mango into cubes, place everything in a bowl and season with a pinch of pepper and a pinch of salt. Mix everything well.
Grate the carrot and wash the soybean sprouts.
For the sauce, mix the yogurt, sriracha sauce and lemon juice.
To serve, add a white rice base and then the marinated salmon and tuna, the cucumber-avocado-mango salad, some grated carrot and sprouts. Decorate with the green part of the Chinese chives (finely chopped) and white and / or black sesame seeds.
Southwestern Mexican quinoa salad with beans, corn and cilantro
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 oz. Black beans (soaked and boiled in boiling water for 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 chopped onions
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the quinoa and broth in a medium pot, boil at low heat for 15 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and let it cool.
Boil the beans 20 minutes in boiling water. In the same pot, cook the sweet corn in water for 15 minutes. Drain and cool.
Mix quinoa with the beans. Add the tomato, coriander, chives, lemon juice and olive oil.
Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Eat healthy, eat delicious, live better!